Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Zum Geburtstag viel Glück

The other day I was working my office, Martin told me there were cakes. Turned out it was someone's birthday and she made a lot of cakes. I don't know if it's a German tradition or not, but everyone should do that.

Chocolate birthday cake made by the birthdayee.

So we all went to the common area and grabbed a cake for each of ourselves. Of course it would be rude if you just go, grab a cake and head back to your own office. Therefore I asked Martin how would I say "Happy Birthday" in German.

He pronounced a whole bunch of words and I couldn't even follow it... I asked if there was a simpler way and he gave me this, slightly less complicated and I could somehow work out the meaning:

Zum Geburtstag viel Glück.

This means... "Good luck for your birthday". I guess being good luck would become happy =D


Google Translate told me this:

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag.

And the internet told me this is the way I should say:

Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag.

... I guess I'll skip the last one.

No comments:

Post a Comment